Skip to main content

Taking courses outside TL

Per San Rafael City Schools policy, all courses taken outside of Terra Linda must be reported on the TL transcript. Terra Linda students must complete an Alternative Credit Request form before registering for a course outside of TL, and submit it to the School Counselor. Students can select one of two options for adding credit to the TL transcript: “Dual credit” if the credit is needed to meet a graduation or UC/CSU A-G requirement (affects TL GPA), or “Outside credit only” if the credit is not needed to meet a graduation or UC/CSU A-G requirement (does not affect TL GPA). Please speak with your School Counselor if you have questions about which option is best for you.

Procedure for Requesting an Outside Course

  1. Student contacts the assigned School Counselor to discuss the possibility of taking an outside course while enrolled at Terra Linda High School. 
  2. With informal approval from the School Counselor, the student completes and submits an Alternative Credit Request form for formal approval. 
  3. If approved by the School Counselor, Administration, and parents, the student may register for the course.
  4. Once the course has been completed, the student must have an official transcript sent from the issuing institution directly to Terra Linda High School. Transcripts may be mailed to the Terra Linda High School address below, or can be emailed directly from the issuing institution to the School Counselor or Registrar. Note: TL receives course and grade information directly from SRJC and COM; students who take classes at these schools generally do not need to order a transcript. 

Mail trancripts to:

Terra Linda High School

ATTN: Registrar

320 Nova Albion Way

San Rafael, CA 94903


Electronic transcripts can be sent to: or the assigned School Counselor